Phone: 575 646 3557
Title & Affiliation(s):
- Post-Doctoral Research Ecologist, USDA-ARS, Jornada Experimental Range
Primary Research Interests:
My research integrates across traditional disciplines of pedology, ecology, and hydrology by applying new technologies like remote sensing, digital soil mapping, and landscape modeling to address spatiotemporal changes in soil properties and soil function in response to anthropogenic and global changes for improved natural resource planning and sustainable land management. Current focus areas include:
- Linking vegetation dynamics to geoedaphic properties and management
- Disaggregation of soil map units
- Development of spatial pedotransfer functions to explain landscape-scale vegetation dynamics
- July 2013 to present - Post-Doctoral Research Ecologist, USDA-ARS, Jornada Experimental Range
- June 2012 to June 2013 - Research Associate, Colorado State University
- 2008 to 2012 - Graduate Research/Teaching Associate, University of Arizona
- 2005 to 2007 - Graduate Research/Teaching Assistant, Auburn University
- Levi, M.R., C. Rasmussen, and M.G. Schaap. In Press. Spatial pedotransfer function modeling to predict ecosystem response to climate. Vadose Zone Journal. (doi:10.2136/vzj2014.09.0126).
- Holleran M., Levi M., and Rasmussen C. 2015. Quantifying soil and critical zone variability in a forested catchment through digital soil mapping. SOIL 1:47-67 (doi:10.5194/soil-1-47-2015).
- Levi, M.R. and C. Rasmussen. 2014. Covariate selection with iterative principal component analysis for predicting physical soil properties. Geoderma 219-220:46-57 (doi: 10.1016/j.geoderma.2013.12.013).
- Levi, M.R. and C. Rasmussen. 2011. Considerations for atmospheric correction of surface reflectance for soil survey applications. Soil Surv. Horiz. 52:48-55. (doi:10.2136/ssh2011-52-2-5).
- Levi, M.R., J.N. Shaw, C.W. Wood, S.M. Hermann, E.A. Carter, and Y. Feng. 2010. Land management effects on near-surface soil properties in southeastern U.S. Coastal Plain Kandiudults. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 74:258-271 (doi:10.2136/sssaj2009.0015).
|2012||Ph.D.||University of Arizona, Soil Science with minor in Remote Sensing and Spatial Analysis|
|2007||M.S.||Auburn University, Soil Science|
|2005||B.S.||Tennessee Technological University, Agriculture|
Member, Soil science committee, USDA-ARS Long Term Agriculture Research Network
Member, Soil Horizons (former SSSA journal) evaluation committee to reestablish a viable publication model, January 2016 - present
Member, Science committee, National Cooperative Soil Survey, 2015 National Conference
Peer Reviewer, Soil Science Society of America Journal; Pedosphere; Geoderma, Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment; Soil Science; Journal of Arid Environments