This is the old version of the JRN LTER website. Please visit https://lter.jornada.nmsu.edu.
Jeff E Herrick
Phone: 575 646 4842
USDA-ARS-Jornada Experimental Range
P.O. Box 30003, MSC 3JER, NMSU
Las Cruces, NM 88003
Title & Affiliation(s):
- Soil Scientist, USDA-ARS, Jornada Experimental Range
- Co-Principal Investigator, Jornada Basin LTER
- Adjunct Faculty, Depts. of Animal & Range, and Plant & Environmental Sciences, New Mexico State University, and Dept. of Ecology & Evolutionary Biology, University of Colorado, Boulder
Primary Research Interests:
Jeff’s research focuses on the factors that control the resistance and resilience of dryland ecosystems, and he has worked with a diverse group of US and initernational collaborators to develop inventory, assessment, monitoring and knowledge management tools that are applied at plot to national scales. He serves as an advisor to US government agencies on increasing return on investments in rangeland monitoring and assessment, is a member of the International Resources Panel, and is the US Government’s science representative to the United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD). He currently leads development of the “Land-Potential Knowledge System” (LandPKS), a suite of mobile apps and cloud computing to support field- and pasture-scale data collection and decision-making.
- 1998 to present - Soil Scientist, Range Management Research Unit, USDA-ARS, Las Cruces, New Mexico
- 1994 to 1998 - Postdoctoral Research Associate, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM
- 1988 to 1993 - National Science Foundation Graduate Research Fellow and Graduate Research Assistant, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH
|1993||Ph.D.||Ohio State University; Agronomy|
|1987||Diploma||Lincoln College, New Zealand; Agricultural Science|
|1985||B.A.||Swarthmore College, Pennsylvania; Biology|
- NRCS Rangeland National Research Inventory Data Analysis Team. External advisor to national inventory of non-federal rangelands, 1999-present
- National Rangeland Health Team, protocol developer and training team member. Co-organize and teach 1-3 national and international workshops per year for land managers, scientists, and students, 1998-present
- BLM National Science Committee member
- Land-Potential Knowledge System (LandPKS). Project lead.
- Jornada Basin LTER, co-PI, 2000-present