Hand-grubbing mesquite in the semidesert grassland

TitleHand-grubbing mesquite in the semidesert grassland
Publication TypeJournal Article
Year of Publication1958
AuthorsHerbel C.H., Ares F.N., Bridges J.O
JournalJournal of Range Management
Date PublishedNovember 1, 1958
Keywordshand-grubbing, honey mesquite, problem, Prosopis juliflora var. glandulosa Torr., semidesert grassland
AbstractHoney mesquite (Prosopisjuliflora var. glandulosa Torr.) has become an ever-increasing problem on the semidesert grassland. The semidesert grassland occupies an extensive area in southeastern Arizona, southern New Mexico, western Texas and northern Mexico. On the Jornada Experimental Range in southern New Mexico, mesquite-dominated land has increased from 13 percent of the total in 1915 to 36 percent of the total in 1946 and 49 percent in 1957. This has occurred on land that has a history of conservative grazing use and even on some large areas under complete protection. While heavy grazing use will accelerate the spread of mesquite, the complete absence of grazing use will not prevent that spread. Grubbing light stands of young mesquite plants is the most economical means of controlling mesquite. A large-scale mesquite control program was initiated on the Jornada Experimental Range early in 1958 to make information available to ranchers in the area on the costs and techniques of control measures. The area hand-grubbed was 4,265 acres located in three different pastures.