Phone: 918 631 3013
USDA-ARS-Jornada Experimental Range
P.O. Box 30003, MSC 3JER, NMSU
Las Cruces, NM 88003
Primary Research Interests:
My research focuses on biogeochemical processes at ecosystem-level. In particular, I investigate how biotic processes and abiotic processes are linked together to change the dynamics of ecosystems, with particular interests in arid and semiarid regions. One area that I emphasize in my research is how aerolian processes are linked to the ecosystem change (grassland to shrubland) in southwestern US. I try to tackle this issue using both experimental and modeling approaches. As a broadly trained environmental scientist, I am also interested in studying the interaction between soils, vegetation, and climate using field experiment, remote sensing, and GIS.
- 2009 to 2011 - College Assistant Professor, Jornada Experimental Range, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, New Mexico
- 2009 to present - Visiting Assistant Professor, Department of Geography, University of California, Los Angeles
- 2008 to 2009 - Post Doctoral Associate, Department of Biological and Environmental Engineering, Cornell University
- 2003 to 2008 - Research Assistant, Department of Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia
- 2002 to 2003 - Research Assistant, Department of Renewable Resources, University of Wyoming
- 2001 to 2002 - Research Scientist, The Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
- Li J, Okin GS, Epstein HE. Effects of enhanced wind erosion on surface soil texture and characteristics of windblown sediments. Journal of Geophysical Research-Biogeosciences, 2009. DOI:10.1029/2008JG000903.
- Li J, Okin GS, Alvarez L, Epstein H. Sediment deposition and soil nutrient heterogeneity in two desert grassland ecosystems, southern New Mexico. Plant and Soil, 2009, 319:67-84.
- Li J and Okin GS. Carbon and nitrogen dynamics with enhanced wind erosion-model evaluation and prediction. In: Fernandez-Bernal A. and Alberto De La Rosa M (eds.). Arid Environments and Wind Erosion. 2009. ISBN: 978-1-60692-411-2, Nova Science Publishers, Inc., New York.
- Li J, Okin GS, Alvarez L, Epstein H. Effects of wind erosion on the spatial heterogeneity of soil nutrients in two desert grassland communities. Biogeochemistry, 2008, 88:73-88.
- Li J, Okin GS, Alvarez L, Epstein H. Quantitative effects of vegetation cover on wind erosion and soil nutrient loss in a desert grassland of southern New Mexico, USA. Biogeochemistry, 2007, 85:317-332.
- Epstein HE, Okin GS, Li J, Alvarez LJ. Wind erosion and ecosystem consequences following vegetation removal in a Chihuahuan Desert grassland. Global Land Project News, 2009 (5):3-4.
- Fu B, Guo X, Chen L, Ma K, Li J. Soil nutrients changes due to land-use changes in northern China----a case study in Zunhua County, Hebei Province. Soil Use and Management, 2001, 17: 294-296.
- Guo X, Fu B, Chen L, Ma K, Li J. Land use effects on soil properties in a hilly area, Northern China. Ekológia (Bratislava), 2004, 23 (1): 1-13.
- Li J, Chen L, Guo X, Fu B. Temporal and spatial characteristics of non-point source N in surface water of Yuqiao Reservoir Basin. Scientia Geographica Sincia, 2002, 22(2): 238-242.
- Li J, Chen L, Guo X, Fu B. Effects of land use structure on non-point source pollution. China Environmental Sciences, 2000, 20 (6): 506-510.
- Chen L, Li J, Fu B. Synthetic assessment and cluster analysis for eco-environment in Three-gorge Reservoir areas. Rural Eco-Environment, 2001, 15 (4): 218-224.
- Chen L, Li J, Guo X, Fu B. Temporal and spatial characteristics of surface water quality in Jiyun River. Environmental Sciences, 2000, 21 (6): 61-64.
- Zhang S, Chen L, Fu B, Li J. The risk assessment of non-point pollution of phosphorus from agricultural lands: A case study of Yuqiao Reservoir watershed. Quaternary Research, 2003, 23 (3):262-269.
- Guo X, Fu B, Chen L, Ma K, Li J. Effects of land use on soil quality in a hill area----A case study in Zunhua County, Hebei Province. Acta Geographica Sinica, 2001, 56 (4): 447-455.
- Fu B, Guo X, Chen L, Ma K, Li J. Land use changes and soil nutrient changes: a case study in Zunhua County, Hebei Province. Acta Ecological Sinica, 2001, (21) 6: 926-931.
- Fu B, Liu G, Chen L, Ma K, Li J. Scheme of ecological regionalization in China. Acta Ecologica Sinica, 2001, 21(1): 1-6.
- Guo X, Fu B, Chen L, Ma K, Li J. The spatio-temporal variability of soil nutrients in Zunhua plain of Hebei Province: semivariogram and Kriging Analysis. Acta Geographica Sinica, 2000, 55(5): 555-566.
|2008||Ph.D.||Environmental Sciences, University of Virginia|
|2003||M.S.||Rangeland Ecology and Water Resources, University of Wyoming|
|1998||B.S.||Geology, Jilin University, China|
Journal reviewer for:
- Journal of Geophysical Research, Plant and Soil
- Journal of Arid Environments, Environmental Modeling and Software
- Australian Journal of Soil Research